Buying Advice For Intermediate Drums
Intermediate Drum Set Comparisons from this website
While we are making suggestions and/or comments on these intermediate kits, one must keep in mind that they are manufactured specifically for advanced beginner/intermediate players
Of course, modifications were made by manufacturers to keep costs lower for these intermediate kits. Hardware and/or snare drum products may a bit below professional kits standards, but with a Little detective work and reading these reviews…you may be surprised the bargains and quality drums that are out there!! (A MUST read – See what pro drummers and customers say. Click link below)
✭ High Ratings & Reviews on Intermediate Drum Sets ✭
These are more economical drum sets because we are investing (many times) in a youth that “may or may not” keep playing drums to the next level. The expense is a concern.
So, keeping that in mind, here are some pros and cons and videos on those featured drums in our INTERMEDIATE drum page. These are kits we like. After much research & filtering thru critics analysis and customer reviews, here is the down and dirty…what we came up with. Enjoy!
Pearl Roadshow RS525SC/C707 5-Piece Drum Set – ✭✭✭✭
• Full drum set (everything you need to start playing right out of the box)
• 9 Ply Poplar wood shells vs. competitors 6 ply shells. Offering a good amount of resonance without sacrificing bite and bottom end.
• Kick drum has extended tension/tuning range, for thumping bass frequencies you can feel in your chest.
• Pearl’s award-winning kick pedal design
• A lot of kit for the money! Full tones at a great price
• Great customer service
• 2 year warranty
• Cymbals are low quality
• Check finishes & wraps for imperfections
• few complaints on machined lugs & screws – check all small machined parts when you receive a shipment
“Buying your first real drum kit shouldn’t be stressful. Pearl has made this pretty easy, and the quality (and warranty!) is a nice extra piece of mind. If you’re getting started, this is a great place to start! ” – Shane from Drum Center of Portsmouth
• Well constructed wood shells/tight outer wrap resembles more than a “just a start-up kit”
• Great sound, huge tone for the price
• Yamaha uses low-formaldehyde-content plywood for these sets and has certified that all its wood suppliers conform to environmental laws in California and elsewhere
• White Grape Sparkle finish is spectacular
• heavy duty socket mounts for tom toms
• Hardware package included (on some models)
• 14″ Snare drum – 20″ Bass Drum
• DRUMMER WORLD magazine gives high reviews
• Hardware lightweight 600 series- hi-hat not adjustable
• Shell construction less than high end Yamaha quality
• Probably is not usable BEYOND the intermediate drum kit stage
• Tuning issues came up frequently
• Wanted to see more positive info on sound and tone of this kit
Sonor Safri Drumset – ✭✭✭✭✭
• “Everything is normal size except the kick ,and it sounds like a cannon!” – reviewer
• SOUND is very good, bass drum is nice and thumpy
• the toms tune well and sing with a good mid-range growl
• Everyone raves about the bass drum
• Basswood/poplar shells
• Bass drum is 16″- this may seem small to intermediate players but, thumpy and sounds like a cannon
• No hardware
• Snare strainer could be better & snare needs to tuned higher
“Might Be My Best Kit for the money deal” Small set but BIG sound, you will not be disappointed.
ddrum Journeyman – ✭✭✭✭
• super punchy bass drum
• hardware included
• love the snare
• tone of shells were good
• Pleasantly surprised with the quality and overall sound.
• the shells are great the hardware is awsome
• hard fiber plastic lugs-lugs problems (or ingenious design?)
• obvious seams on shells
• tone of shells were good
• nicks in bearing edge of floor tom
Ludwig – Break Beats by Questlove Kit – Azure Sparkle – ✭✭✭✭✭
• The toms and bass drum have a wonderful lower fundamental
• This is due to basswood shells and the round-over on the bearing edges.
• Ludwig uses 45-degree edges, but have rounded them to limit attack and provide a lower pitch sound.
• “This drumset could pass for a high-end kit in a blindfold test” – Pro Reviewer
• Did not cut any corners here. Outstanding value and Quality
• Azure Sparkle wrap is gorgeous
• mediocre snare (which you’ll find is mostly the case with these intermediate kits).
• really no other “bad reviews” or comments on this kit.
• Bass drum is only 16″ but has the punch and thump of a 22″